Furniture shopping can be a difficult task, especially when you don’t know what to look for. But if you’re tired of cheap, poorly-constructed furniture that falls apart, it’s time to invest in some quality pieces that can stay in your family for generations. But how can you tell a well-constructed piece from a cheap throw-away item when you’re furniture shopping? These furniture buying tips can help point you in the right direction.
- Wood – It’s best to look for solid wood or veneer with at least nine layers. Look out for thin plywood, particle board, or wood with cracks or knots.
- Joints – Wooden pieces with dovetail or mortise and tenon joints are best, but screws and dowels are also good options. Staples, nails and glued joints where the glue is visible are all pretty unreliable.
- Drawers – You should look for dressers with dust panels and floating bottoms, metal guide rails and stops to keep you from pulling the drawers all the way out. You should definitely avoid any dresser that has wood sliding on wood.
- Frame – The frame of a piece should be even, and level with the floor. Makes sure it doesn’t creak, twist or wobble.
- Springs – Hand-tied coiled springs are best, but it’s most important that the springs be close together and provide even resistance. Any springs separated by more than a few inches will not.
- Cushions –Cushions with firm foam wrapped in padding are going to be the sturdiest and most comfortable. Cushions with bare foam or worse yet, loose fill without internal sectioning, are not going to be very comfortable.
- Upholstery – Reversible cushions with aligned patterns will allow you to get more wear out of the cushions. Skirts that are lined and have weights will hold up better over time. When you squeeze the arms and back of a couch or chair, you should not be able to feel the frame.
Furniture stores can be overwhelming. But if you know what to look for when buying furniture, and find some quality pieces, your furniture shopping trips will be fewer and farther between! Read more: www.carolinafactoryoutlet.com