6 Tips for Getting the Right Amish Funiture
It is pretty well known that the furniture made by the Amish people is a very good quality. The furniture became popular in he 1920s. This is when the general United States population learned about early American folk art. Art historians and dealers began pushing Amish pieces for their quality and beauty. It is all totally made by hand. In addition to traditional furniture pieces, Amish craftspeople make custom Amish gazebos, small sheds and garages. There are some things you can do to make sure you get the Amish pieces or garages that will bes complement your home.
Start your shopping with some research. When you are talking about Amish furniture and garages, there are a lot of different styles and colors that you can get. In order to get pieces that best match your style and the look of your home, you should look into your different options. Some of the styles of Amish furniture and garages that are the most popular are the Arts and Crafts, Traditional, Shaker and Mission styles. Each is very different but all fall under the umbrella of Amish furniture.
- Take the time to measure your space. Even if you are looking to but an Amish garage, you need to measure the space so that you get exactly what you need. If you are buying furniture to place in your home, you should measure the room. In carpentry, they say, “measure twice, cut once.” That rule can and should be applied to buying furniture. The last thing you need is to get your Amish furniture home only to find it does not fit in the space where you want to place it.
- Plan out your space. One thing people find to be a good way to determine how they will place new furniture is to cut out cardboard pieces that are the same shape and size of the furniture. These can be placed in the right spot in a room. This can be really helpful when you are looking to buy Amish furniture. If you are going to the trouble of buying an Amish dining room set, you want to make sure it fits in your dining room.
- Get full sets of furniture. If you are going to furnish a whole room, you should get it all at once. Because Amish furniture is hand made from wood, if you want the pieces to match, they should come from the same pieces of wood. The Amish use several kinds of wood such as cherry, maple, hickory, walnut and oak. Most Amish craftspeople will pick out pieces of wood to match each other when they are making a whole set. When you buy your pieces one by one, you may end up with a less than really cohesive set of furniture. When you get the pieces together as a set, they will look better together.
- Take a look at your current furniture. Amish furniture and garages are distinctive and that is a good thing but the pieces or custom sheds you pick out should go with the style and look of your home and work with your other furniture. When you look at the furniture, have pictures of your home and current furniture so that you can get pieces or a garage that matches with the color palette of your home. This will narrow down your options in terms of the color and finish of the pieces you look at.
- Patience is your friend. When you buy Amish furniture, you need to know that it will not come the next day. All of the pieces are made without the benefit of machinery. Because it is all hand crafted, it takes longer to build. After you have bought the furniture, it can take up to eight weeks to finish it. The good news is that it will last a long time.
- Think about what you want it for. Some people get Amish furniture to use as decoration while others look for functionality. You should give some thought to how you are going to use your pieces before you pick any out.
Amish furniture is a great quality and its beauty will complement your home if you have done your research.